Skip to main content

Join Us!



Children need to be trusted and learn to trust themselves for a true sense of wellness to occur. The ability to make this inward shift is transformational. Being emotionally, physically, and nutritionally healthy is an enormous component to being a well-rounded child, making Mindfulness our focus for this book chat.

Mindfulness is paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally. (Zinn 2017) Dr. Shefali Tsabary will help us along our journey by bridging the everyday occurrences of raising and teaching children with mindfully being aware of the choices we make when communicating with them.  Dr. Tsabary’s research reveals strategies to help children think critically, communicate effectively for themselves, collaborate with others with respect and understanding and most importantly, to help children trust themselves as they creatively apply all they’ve learned throughout their years in school.

We will be discussing the book, The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children by Dr. Shefali Tsabary. Join parents and educators in our HMS community for discussion in a casual atmosphere. We will start reading this summer and use this blog to share thoughts and ideas.

Our first face-to-face meeting will be October 2, 2017 at 7pm in the Library Media Center and we will continue to meet throughout the year. Dates TBA.

Please feel free to invite other HMS parents to this experience. It will be a fun ride of empowering children to confidently walk their own walk during an essential time of development.




Add directions here as to how to follow the blog and how to post to it.

Please feel free to post here and join the ongoing conversation we have throughout our time together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RSVP

Parents and Colleagues, Please comment with your name below if you are attending our meeting on 10/2/27. It will be at 7pm in the Helen Morgan Media Center. Please visit Sparta Books if you still need a copy of the book. Mention our group and get a 15% discount.

Help!

Dr. Tsabary came into my life right when I needed her.  I was looking for answers that no other parent could give me when I turned on the TV and heard her speaking about there being no ideal parent and no ideal child.  She had my attention. I bought her book in both print and audio.  It's my practice to buy both versions when I like a book so much I continue listening to it in my car. In Chapter 1 on page 11, Dr. Tsabary says, "...our children hold the power to raise us into the parents they need us to become." This line shifted everything I knew about parenting and teaching. It completely transformed my way of thinking and suddenly every challenge I encountered in raising and teaching children made sense. I now view every encounter, easy and challenging, as a lesson. When I make my bed each morning, I set an intention to be the mother my children need me to be for them that day and the teacher my students and parents need me to be. Has anyone ever given thought t